The original building of Tate Mortuary was constructed during the late 1800′s and was the home of LeGrande Richards. It was bought from the Richards Family by Earl Christensen who operated a mortuary at that location for several years. He later sold it to Herbert Smith, who continued the mortuary business.
LaVar Tate and his wife, Mildred, purchased the mortuary from Mr. Smith in 1942. Soon afterward, the back area of the facility was remodeled with a new preparation room installed. Years later, the front portion of the mortuary was remodeled. That project included a new viewing room and chapel for small funerals.
The Tate Family has operated Tate Mortuary since 1942. From 1942 to 1962, the Tate Family also furnished an ambulance service for Tooele County. The Tate Family takes great pride in providing that service for the county, because it was a labor of love: the service never turned a profit and always required significant subsidy from the Tate Family to continue.
In 1996 Tate Mortuary underwent a major expansion and renovation project to modernize the facility and make it more functional and convenient for today’s families. The building, as it stands today, is a dream come true for the Tate Family and the employees of Tate Mortuary.