obituary header
Welcome to the memorial page for

Fredrick John Roddy

November 22, 1924 ~ April 21, 2017 (age 92)

Share using:         


Memorial Service
April 29, 2017

11:00 AM
Pine Canyon Ward Chapel
2045 Churchwood Drive
Tooele, Utah 84074

Fredrick John Roddy passed away from heart failure on Friday, April 21, 2017 at the age of 92.  He was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on November, 22, 1924.  His life was filled with lots of hard work and a love of the outdoors, hunting, camping and cutting wood.  As a veteran of WWII in the Army Transport Service/Merchant Marines, he served as a gunner’s mate and steward’s mate. These convoys transported troops and supplies in the Atlantic. During D-day he was part of the Omaha Beach invasion; wartime experiences were very difficult for him to talk about in detail, although he did relate that U-boat wolf packs torpedoed (6-8) ships a night in the convoy’s and being adrift in a life raft for two weeks after his ship hit a mine and sunk.

He worked after the war as a Crane Operator loading scrape iron into ships to be taken to Erie Pennsylvania, through the Great Lakes. He operated the 150 ton overhead crane during construction of the Trieste the bathyscaph (sub) which was used to descend to the deepest part of the ocean off Porto Rico called the Milwaukee trench. He retired from Nordberg Mfg. and enjoyed some traveling.  He served with Alex Rodakis, the ship’s Chief Steward and met and fell in love with his daughter Marion Rodakis from Boston.  They married and eventually moved to Milwaukee.  From this union they had four children; Misty, Russ, both living in Houston, Linda (Ken) living in Florida, and Chrissy (late husband Paul) of Pine Canyon, Utah.  Grandchildren are Dean, Michelle, Joel, Shyloh, Shelley, Shauna, Mylo, Jesse, Amber, Josh and 18 great-grandchildren.  He also loved his dogs they were just like children to him.  After many years he parted ways with Marion and married Esther (Steffes) and later Doris (Steffes) both ending in divorce.

Fred and Doris moved from the big city of Milwaukee to Blackfoot Idaho and enjoyed the peace of country living. When his health failed he moved to Utah and stayed with his daughter Chriss where he received loving care.  He appreciated how loving the people in Pine Canyon were to him and the Hospice nurses (which he always teased).  He will always be remembered for his sense of humor, love for his dogs and colorful personality.  Before he left us he expressed love for everyone and a realization of just how important family really is.  A small service will be held at the Pine Canyon LDS ward at 11:00 am on Saturday the 29th of April.  An honor guard from the Veterans will present the colors to honor him for his WWII service. Those family members or friends who are unable to attend will be thought of and missed.







© 2018 Tate Mortuary. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS